A versatile and inventive vocalist and composer

We Nicky Schrire , vocalist, composer and educator.

Nicky Schrire is a versatile and inventive vocalist and composer whose work has earned her comparisons to artists like Joni Mitchell, Tori Amos, and Esperanza Spalding. She has performed in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, London, Dublin and South Africa, with musicians ranging from Abdullah Ibrahim, Arno Carstens, and Sibongile Khumalo, to Grammy-nominated pianists Gerald Clayton and Gil Goldstein.

"I was a child that always played music in the house, in the car. I watch a lot of musical videos, TCM movie and my mother was incredibly encouraging of her children learning about different art forms . Hence we can play the music ; I just switch from musicals, but the decision to study it came about, because I loved it and I never really considered studying anything else and my parents were very supportive" Nicky Schire.

She received her Bachelor of Music Degree from the University of Cape Town and her Masters Degree from New York's Manhattan School of Music where she studied with Peter Eldridge, Theo Bleckmann and Dave Liebman. She released three critically acclaimed jazz albums-2012's "Freedom Flight", 2013's "Space and Time", and the 2014 EP "To The Spring"-which earned her comparisons to songwriters like Joan Baez, Becca Stevens, and Mary Chapin Carpenter. With this encouragement, and her jazz stylings borrowing more and more from the folk genre, she recorded a singer-songwriter EP entitled "An Education".


Nicky is also an educator with over ten years of teaching experience in various contexts including private vocal instruction, workshops and master classes. She was a lecturer at the University of Cape Town in the Jazz Department for three years (2016, 2017, 2018), during which time she taught improvisation, jazz ear training, jazz ensemble, music business skills, and gave private voice instruction.
According to her "Many people who are successful in the art and the music industry and they didn't all get there at the same way and so I don't necessarily diminish someone who is getting a constant income from their music and doing really well, but they don't have a full educational degree. I don't think it's necessary for everyone, but personally it has been absolutely invaluable and it is allowed me to explore different colours and it's allowed me to play with people and to kind of hold my own. I know how to prepare I know how to perform I mean I'm still learning everyday. I get okay with people who are better than me and it makes me a better musician and performer so personally I think education is a great thing but there are other ways to get the foreshore".


For more information, you can contact them on: 
Website: www.nickyschrire.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rudy van Dieman to summit Table Mountain 365 times in 2022, to raise funds for building a community orphanage

Slavery

DON CALYA SIGNS WITH UNIVERSAL MUSIC